Cut from a different cloth

cloth

UAE: Holland & Sherry has opened an office in Sama Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, covering the MENA and Turkey, and plans to open a showroom in the region within the next two years.

The cloth merchant has provided some of the world’s finest fabrics to the apparel industry for almost 200 years, including cashmere, silk velvets, natural linens, fine wools and hand-crafted accessories.

With offices worldwide, the company has become a partner to the Paris Couture Houses, from Dior to Lanvin or Smalto, who use its traditional fabrics like Scottish cashmere which made the brand famous. Its regional distributor is business development manager, Samy Benbout, Lelievre.

Advertisement

Last year, Holland & Sherry Custom Embroidery Collection launched hand-knotted Tibetan carpets made from silk in China and wool and other natural fibres from Tibet and is currently developing an Embroidered Wool Felt Rug Collection with a 100% hand-made grasscloth, eco friendly wallcoverings and a specialty leather line, with over 150 Italian leathers.

“We launched an office in Dubai to grow and expand our business in the region on both apparel and interiors,” said Walid Bathich, regional director, Holland & Sherry Middle East.

“By opening an office here we expect our regional turnover to increase by GBP1m by the end of 2013. On the interiors side, it will allow us to be closer to our potential customers, generate more business and to see the market potential before opening our own interiors showroom in areas like Dubai or Istanbul. Big projects that are on-going in the region like Qatar and Abu Dhabi show there is demand for high-end interiors products, which benefits our company.”

From its conception, over 170 years ago, Holland & Sherry has continued to supply prestigious tailors and luxury brands with the finest cloth. In 1836, Stephen George Holland & Frederick Sherry started the business as woollen merchants at 10 Old Bond Street, London, specialising in both woollen and silk cloths. In 1886, it moved to Golden Square, which, was the epicentre of the woollen merchant trade.

By 1900, the firm opened a sales office in New York and in the early 20th century, the UK, Europe, North and South America were the dominant markets for the company.

By 1982, the business moved to Savile Row, which remains as its head office. In 1968, it bought Scottish cloth merchant, Lowe Donald, based at Peebles, in the Scottish Borders and now runs its distribution from the warehouse there.

Guests invited to the launch at the British Embassy included Dr Lena Wilson, CEO, Scottish Enterprise, Charles Stewart, chairman, Holland & Sherry, Peter Ackroyd MBE, president, International Wool Textile Organisation and First Minister of Scotland Right Hon Alex Salmond MSP.

This entry was posted in Materials, Specify and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *