Electrical fault caused Dubai Address Hotel blaze

Smoke billows from the Address Downtown Hotel, after it caught on fire hours earlier, past fireworks, near the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower in Dubai, on January 1, 2016. At least 16 people were injured when a huge fire ripped through a luxury 63-storey hotel, the Address Downtown, where crowds were gathering to watch New Year's Eve celebrations. The cause of the blaze was not immediately known but the building was safely evacuated. AFP PHOTO / KARIM SAHIB / AFP / KARIM SAHIB        (Photo credit should read KARIM SAHIB/AFP/Getty Images)

The fire that engulfed The Address Hotel in Dubai on New Year’s Eve was caused by an electric fault.

Police chief Major General Khamis Al Muzeina said via an official Facebook page: “The fire at Address Hotel on New Year’s Eve was caused by electrical short circuit.”

Citing findings from an investigation, he added that the fire started on the 14th floor.


The huge blaze on December 31 quickly shot up the 63-storey hotel in the city, covering nearly the entire structure and sending hundreds of people fleeing for safety.

Al Muzeina said that forensics had not found any flammables such as oil in samples from the scene.

Several people sustained injuries from the fire, and at least one person suffered a heart attack. Police have said that there were no deaths.

This entry was posted in Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Electrical fault caused Dubai Address Hotel blaze

  1. FALGUN says:


Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *