The death toll from the residential apartment building collapse in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi on Sunday evening has risen to four, with 40 injured and eight people still unaccounted for.
Fears for the missing eight are mounting as rescuers pick through the smoking piles of rubble of the seven-storey block of flats.
Six floors of the building were occupied while a seventh storey was under construction at the time. City officials say the work was not sanctioned.
President Uhuru Kenyatta warned builders they would face criminal charges if they flouted rules as he condemned a “proliferation of impunity” by developers ignoring “basic laws and regulations.”
Corrine Torre, from Doctors Without Borders, said rescuers were working as fast as they could.
“If they don’t go slowly everything can fall down and it would be a big mess, but after 24 hours we are not very confident” of finding survivors, Torre told AFP, adding that the baby killed had been born only the day before.
Nairobi county official Tom Odongo said the six floors of the building were all occupied and a seventh was under construction.
He also said the upper floors were built in quick succession, putting pressure on the lower floors, and added that the construction had not been permitted by local authorities.
“The fault lies with the developer… responsibility starts with the individual,” Odongo said.